How to break out of a bad mood
Bad moods are the dumps. No one likes bad moods and even more so, no one wants to be around someone who's feeling sour. A bad mood is a great way to bring you - and everyone around you - down a dwindling spiral. So how do you shake off a bad mood?
It’s easy! Just try out one of these simple ideas to turn your frown upside down:
1. Get dressed. That’s right. Get up, take a shower, put on some nice clothes and gussy yourself up to the nines.
Studies have shown that your mood has a lot to do with your self-image. How different do you think your self-image is between a just-rolled-out-of-bed look and a ready-to-hit-the-ground-running look?
By getting dressed and doing what it takes to make yourself look good on the outside, you feel better on the inside. When you feel better on the inside, your mood changes significantly and you’re ready to face the day.
2. Tapping. Do the basic tapping protocol of Faster EFT. Ending by the happiest memory of your life will certainly shake this bad mood out of the park.
3. Get moving. Exercise releases hormones that help alter your mood. Cleaning your space gets you moving and makes you feel better about your surroundings. It doesn’t really matter what you do; just get up, get out, and get moving.
Many times, your bad mood can be amplified by your lack of movement. Getting up and doing something, whether it’s exercising or even walking over to the nearest coffee shop, can give you a big mood boost.
4. Read. Reading a book or an inspiring article takes you to a different place and allows you to step into someone else’s shoes. Why not pick up a book by your favorite author or go to your favorite blog and let them transport you out of your bad mood for 30 minutes or so?
5. Meditate. Deep breathing exercises and a focused mind can break you out of any sour mood. Remember back in grade school when you were taught to take deep breaths and count to 10 when you got angry? It was actually for a very good idea.
When focusing on one thing and breathing deeply, our bodies tend to respond in a positive way by relaxing and releasing tension.
6. Hang out with friends. What are friends for? Be around any of your good friends for any length of time and you’ll be snapped out of that bad mood so fast you won’t even know what hit you. If there are no friends around, take a page of your journal and talk to the page if it is your best friend. Maybe, you’ll find an uplifting solution to your mental state.
7. Laugh. There’s no possible way that you can laugh and stay in a bad mood. It’s proven that your emotions follow your actions, which is why many therapists recommend taking action to cure things like anxiety and stress. Next time you’re in a bad mood, try laughing.
I guarantee that you can’t stay in your bad mood after more than 5 minutes of continuous laughter!
8. Treat yourself. Do something just for you. You deserve it anyway. The key is to just go a little overboard and do something you wouldn’t ordinarily do. Have fun with it and make it memorable.
If you can afford it, have a massage or spa treatment. Similar to the meditation, this is a great tool to relax and break you out of whatever might be dragging you down. A hot bath and calm music can also be a great treat.
If you’re short on funds, go dream shopping. Go to one of the most expensive stores around and try on clothes or go test drive your dream car. Give yourself a reason to get back into the swing of things and get rolling again. Mentally spend 1000 dollars or more. Treat yourself to the feel-good sensation of purchasing by saying: “I can buy that!"
Do an intense pampering morning. Self-care is the essential ingredient in feeling good for no reason.
While there are many other ways to shake yourself out of a bad mood, these are a few great ways to start. Try some of them next time you’re feeling down. Better yet, see how many of them you can make it through before your bad mood has completely vanished.
My guess is you might only make it to the second tip, simply because tapping is such a simple and effective way to get back to feeling great for no reason.
About the author: Linda Sauvé, founder of Emotions360, strategist in wellness (certified practitioner in NLP and advanced certified practitioner in Faster EFT-Eutaptics and certified teacher of Ontario), uses powerful techniques and approaches to impact positively the lives of her clients. She is a professional actor, speaker (French and English), author of four books and hundreds of articles. She is delighted to offer you a F-R-E-E 30 minute Deep Dive Clarity consult to get the life you want. Run to to reserve your free consult now https://www.emotions360.ca/book-online or call her cell phone at 1-514-561-6742 Ext. 200